Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lunch Fun

I remember being little and visiting my Great Gram. She always had fun stuff for us to do. Giant bubbles, hills to roll down, salamanders under the sump pump and lunch was almost always cookie cutter lunch meats and cheeses but to my brothers and I that was the coolest lunch on the planet. My little guys barely got to know her before she passed and never experienced the lunch shapes but in honor of the memory of those fun times I bust out of cookie cutters and get those creative juices flowing. It’s a great way to sneak some veggies into kids or get picky children (like my oldest) to try something new. Give it a whirl and see what you can come up with! Here are some of my creations:

Bologna fish body with cheddar cheese accents. String cheese anemones. Strawberry crab. Carrot rocks. Goldfish crackers and string cheese cut in circles for bubbles.


String cheese stalks, cheddar cheese sun, spinach leaf, alfalfa sprout sprouts, salami flowers and carrots as the ground.

  
Bologna train with cheddar and string cheese accents. Quesadilla for the ground, carrot for the track. Apple for the smoke and rocks.


Bologna lion with cheddar cheese accents, carrots for hay, string cheese cut into circles for rocks, celery stalk with peanut butter for the tree trunk, snap pea palm ferns and a dab of ranch for the moon.


1 comment: